What Is Plagiarism?
The Student Code for Midlands Technical College states:
According to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, to "plagiarize" means:
- to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own
- to use (another's production) without crediting the source
- to commit literary theft
- to present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source
Plagiarism may be:
- Deliberate or blatant (intentionally presenting someone else’s work as your own)
- Accidental (wrongly or unsatisfactorily citing ideas and words from a source)
It may not be possible for your professor to establish whether plagiarized work was deliberate or accidental. In either case, you and your professor are placed in a difficult situation.